From about the fourteenth century the river was crossed at this point by a wooden bridge. The completion of the canal caused an increase in heavy traffic over the river so the wooden bridge was replaced by this stone one in 1826. It was designed to be a wider structure, but the landowners paying for it did not want to spend that much money, so a narrower design was adopted, much to the dismay of the architect. Unfortunately the bridge proved to be too narrow and there were several accidents upon it, including a Mrs Tomley, who was crushed to death In 1857 the footpaths, supported by iron arches, were added to make the bridge a little less dangerous.
During the floods of 1960 and 1964, the bridge could be accessed at the Penygloddfa side of the river, but Broad Street was under several feet of water.