"Kicking Off Christmas" A Big Thank You!
December 1, 2017
A Big Thank You!
Newtown and Llanllwchaiarn Town Council would like to record a big thank you to all volunteers, performers and staff who helped with the Kicking Off Christmas event on Friday 24th November. We provide the finance and a dedicated bunch of 3 Councillors, 2 Chamber of trade volunteers, 3 event stewards and members of staff meet regularly through the year to wrestle with the budget and make plans for the night. We hope you enjoyed it. Any constructive comments or ideas and suggestions are welcome, and we plan to call a meeting in February to see who wants to get involved and bring some more ideas forward for next year
In order of appearance then we'd like to give a great big thank you to :-
- Our own council lads who worked unsocial hours to put the lights up, and others who helped them.
The Rotary Club for the Christmas tree, a lovely gift to the town.
- The Newtown Event Stewards, for helping with the road closures, the charity stalls and keeping us all safe, we appreciate it.
- The management staff of Bear Lanes and Wales Cottage Holidays for allowing us to use the balcony and centre.
- The organisations who sponsor the lights by having an ad board,
- Red Flame for the professional service with electrics and sound equipment,
- Tony Rowley for entertaining us, for the links and the countdown, we enjoyed you,
- Our school choirs this year, Ysgol Dafydd Llwyd, Hafren School and Penygloddfa School for entertaining us with all your Christmas songs, we enjoyed them very much, and there were some very proud friends and family there!.
- Our Newtown Silver Band – thanks for leading the parade, you make an occasion special. We are lucky to have you,
- Hannah (Parkers) and Cheryl (Rush Fancy Dress) and local traders for organising the “Find Olaf and the Disney Princesses” competition, the children loved it,
- All those who had a charity stall, we hope you made a mint for your good causes,
- The Rotary Club for Santa's sleigh in Bear Lanes,
- Sian and Station Couriers for the wonderful sleigh to bring our special guests into town, and lead the parade. Lovely job!
- We had our own celebrities for turning on the lights on so thanks to the Mayor Cllr Sue Newham, Newtown Carnival Queen, Billie-jo Lloyd and Miss Powys, Shelleey Ann - all lovely ladies who got where they are by talent and working hard! And a very special celebrity from Lapland, Santa Claus, who is keeping a list and checking it twice. Don't the new lights look great?
- Dougie for organising the bikers to bring the choristers to perform for us, and to the bikers who came like a menacing mob and turned out to be a taxi service!
- The Newtown Male Voice Choir for singing for us, all very smartly turned out in the cold,
- Zu Aeriel for the fabulous Fire Dance and for joining in with the parade, you were a visual feast,
- St John Ambulance for attending in case of need,
- Morrisons and Tesco for your contributions,
- All the local businesses that stayed open to join in and be part of the event,
- Council staff who have all worked above and beyond their usual hours to help put this on, Zak, Lee, Sorelle, Liz, Bernard and Ed,
- and finally to the organising committee of volunteers Cllr Richard Williams, Cllr Geoff Parsons, Cllr Susan Hill, Mary Tudor, Cheryl Griffiths, Keith Tanner, Alfie Syer and John Lloyd with council officers Zak Howard, Lee Davies and Sorelle White assisting - without whom nothing would have happened at all.